Why Use This Blog?

For a medium that is relatively young, webcomic production is enormous. There are a lot of webcomics available, and they are easy to find. Google "Webcomic," and you'll hit about 5,000,000 sites that mention the word. Unfortunately, only a fraction of what is online is enjoyable to read. Finding the "good stuff" can be difficult and takes a considerable amount of time and patience.
This blog was created as a guide to finding good web comics. As a starting point for new readers, it features links to great comics and tips on how to search for the good comics on your own. I also review comics that I come across in my own search for the best that webcomics have to offer.

A note: this is not a guide to publishing a webcomic. I suggest reading the FAQ of a good webcomic artist for information about how-to, or visiting this tutorial.

Also, this is not a literary review of webcomics. For a literary review, see the Webcomics Examiner.

I now update on Sundays.

June 8, 2007

Questionable Content

Questionable Content
Jeph Jacques
Real Life, sorta
PG-13

I am not indie. Nor am I emo. As far as I can tell the whole indie/emo movement is about wearing un-ironed preppy-ish clothes picked up at a thrift store and finding the most obscure, unheard of band on the market to listen to, then saying the names of the bands during a party to establish your "indie cred."

This is not my scene.

But reading a comic about a bunch of indie kids in their mid-twenties surrounded by a cast of goths, college girls, punk rockers and general crazies is definitely my scene.

Questionable Content began as a comic about a few friends, the main cast being Faye, Marten and Dora, that go about their daily lives in Massachusetts without much fanfare or drama. Actually, this is what first attracted me to the comic. The main characters feel like people you hang with every day. There is little angst, and when "drama" does happen it is subtle. Characters may go through life changing events, but there is this air that life will go on. You wouldn't believe how rare it is to find such a down to earth attitude in webcomics.

As the years have gone by, many other characters have been thrown into the mix. (My favorite is Hennalore, the OCD girl). The plot has also added a few elements of light sci-fi. No aliens or the like. More technological advances that we haven't seen yet, like talking PCs and combat robots. But the story is still about people and their interactions with each other.

There is only one complaint that I have with the comic. It takes a long time for the plot to move because almost every action of the characters is described (including bathroom breaks). And there is one warning for folks who are as musically inept as I am: there are quite a few jokes about indie bands that went right over my head, especially in the earlier comics. Other than that, the comic is a mellow, nifty read.

1 comment:

Stephenie said...

I do get most of the indie music humor (thanks to my ex bf) and the emo stuff (thanks to my lil bros). I think that stuff is part of the greatest appeal of the comic. My main complaint: there is too much questionable content and it seems superfluous. Overall, this comic gives the reader a Seinfeld-in-the-coffe-shop OF DOOM feel.