Why Use This Blog?

For a medium that is relatively young, webcomic production is enormous. There are a lot of webcomics available, and they are easy to find. Google "Webcomic," and you'll hit about 5,000,000 sites that mention the word. Unfortunately, only a fraction of what is online is enjoyable to read. Finding the "good stuff" can be difficult and takes a considerable amount of time and patience.
This blog was created as a guide to finding good web comics. As a starting point for new readers, it features links to great comics and tips on how to search for the good comics on your own. I also review comics that I come across in my own search for the best that webcomics have to offer.

A note: this is not a guide to publishing a webcomic. I suggest reading the FAQ of a good webcomic artist for information about how-to, or visiting this tutorial.

Also, this is not a literary review of webcomics. For a literary review, see the Webcomics Examiner.

I now update on Sundays.

February 23, 2007

How I Define a Good Webcomic

Story and Art

The comics should have a good story, obviously, or else there is no point in reading the comic. Characters must be interesting, dialogue must be well-written, the plot must be intriguing, and the story should have few (if any) continuity issues. If the comic is supposed to be funny, then I should laugh. Cheese is okay, if not overdone. Art is a little tricker to judge. I stand by Bill Waterson's observation: good writing saves bad art more than good art saves bad writing. There are beautifully illustrated comics online that I have abandoned because the story is ridiculous. And there are poorly illustrated comics that I read because the writing is lovely. A beautifully illustrated comic that is also well-written is a thing to be cherished, because it is rare to find both elements done well online.

The Comic Has an Archive

This is a big must. All the back story and character development that I missed should be available somewhere on the artist's website so that I can jump into a story with little hassle.

The Artist Posts Regularly

A comic doesn't have to be posted every day or every other day to make me happy. Weekly, monthly or quarterly postings are okay as long as the posts are consistent. But if posts are sporadic or nonexistent for six months, I drop the comic. How can I follow a storyline or keep characters fresh if the story isn't updated regularly?

No comments: